About the Club

In August 1901, six people went camping in an orchard on the outskirts of Wantage and from this ‘small acorn’ has grown the ‘mighty oak’ known today as The Camping and Caravanning Club.

Originally called the Association of Cycle Campers, this group of 6 rapidly grew to over 800 by 1910. in 1919 the club changed its name to The Camping Club of Great Britain and Ireland and was still primarily a tent orientated group.

some Club members built their own, mostly using Ash as the timber for the chassis and drawbar, and wheels and springs from a crashed motor car

By 1933, some Club members were becoming interested in a new form of camping – the caravan. In those days, although companies like Eccles, Winchester Car Cruiser and Raven were producing caravans commercially, some Club members built their own, mostly using Ash as the timber for the chassis and drawbar, and wheels and springs from a crashed motor car, such as a Morris Cowley. Plywood was used for the walls and stretched and doped canvas for the roof.

This upsurge in interest led, in 1933, to the formation of a Club Caravan Section, later to become known as The British Caravanners Club.

In 1983, to reflect the growth in caravanning amongst Club members, the Club changed its name to The Camping and Caravanning Club, the name by which it is still known today. The British Caravanners Club, currently has over 10,000 members, and the Camping and Caravnning Club has over 350,000 members.